March isn’t all about St. Patrick’s Day. In case you didn’t know, March is also a time to celebrate National Nutrition Month.
Never heard of it? Well, National Nutrition Month is a nutrition education and information campaign that is celebrated during this time of the year. It was created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to focus attention on the importance of making wise food choices and teaching the public how to develop physical activity habits.
The theme of this year’s campaign is “Put Your Best Fork Forward” and you know Winter Sweetz™ is in full support of this slogan.
The message encourages the public to make small and healthy shifts in their daily food choices, especially when cooking at home. After all, healthy dietary and lifestyle changes can help prevent so many chronic diseases.
However, making those changes can be a daunting task to undertake. As a basic guide, the government’s 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends the following dietary changes:
- Eat a variety of vegetables, including colorful veggies and legumes.
- Eat more fruits, especially whole fruits.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Opt for fat-free or low-fat dairy, including milk, yogurt, cheese, and fortified soy beverages.
- Choose lean meats and other protein foods like seafood, poultry, nuts, soy products, and legumes.
- Avoid trans and saturated fats. Instead, choose healthier cooking oils like canola, olive, peanut, sunflower, and soy.
The trick to making these changes a permanent part of your dietary style is to consider your favorite healthy foods, your personal preferences, and cultural style.
If grapefruits are a favorite food of yours, then Winter Sweetz™ can help you achieve your health goals this month! Now is the time to incorporate more whole fruits in your diet and we’ve got you covered.
Grapefruit and Your Journey to Good Health
Whether as snacks or as part of a balanced meal, grapefruits can boost your diet. Check out these seven tips to include more delicious Winter Sweets™ grapefruit in your daily meals:#Winter #Sweetz #Grapefruits are an easy and delicious way to include more whole fruits in your… Click To Tweet
- Eat a grapefruit or drink 100% grapefruit juice before you consume the rest of your breakfast.
- Add fresh grapefruit pieces to your fat-free or low-fat yogurt parfait.
- Dice up some grapefruit and add it to your tropical fruit smoothie.
- Mix grapefruit chunks into a fresh fruit bowl for a healthy snack.
- Make a citrus and greens salad with grapefruit slices and a low-fat dressing.
- Top your baked fish dish with grapefruit slices for a bite of delicious citrus flavor.
- Blend chopped grapefruit into your avocado salsa and enjoy with whole wheat crackers.
These tips make for exciting treats and meals, plus they’re kid and adult friendly. When trying these tips, don’t forget to include your whole family while you cook or prep meals to encourage healthy food choices.
Aim for at least four to six servings of fruit every day and your goal for fruit will be achieved.
So what are you waiting for? There’s no excuse to not include more fruits – especially grapefruits – in your diet in support of National Nutrition Month. For more juicy and tasty grapefruit recipes, check out our Winter Sweets™ recipe recommendations.