With Easter just around the corner, it’s time to bring out those colorful baskets and start planning the perfect combination of goodies to give out to our friends, loved ones, and little ones. But before you start packing in those typical Easter treats that are full of sugar and other less-than-healthy ingredients, why not consider an alternative (healthier) route.
While many of us love chocolate bunnies and bright-colored Peeps (okay maybe not everybody), putting together a simple basket with healthy goodies isn’t hard – and in many cases – is better received than those sugar-fueled counterparts.
One of the easiest and tastiest way to make your Easter baskets healthier than ever is to fill them with delicious Winter Sweetz Texas Red grapefruits. Our grapefruits have a beautiful red color and the perfect combination of sweetness and bitterness to elevate your Easter basket. To pair with our Texas Red Grapefruits, here are a few other food and non-food items you can use to make any Easter basket a healthy gift for any one your list.
We all love getting snacks and treats in our Easter basket, but they don’t have to be full of added sugar. Instead of milk chocolate and other candies, consider these items instead:
- Fruit and nut butter – The end of March is the perfect time to buy Winter Sweetz grapefruits because they are at their peak sweetness. Along with filling your baskets with perfectly ripe and delicious Winter Sweetz grapefruits, add apples, bananas, and packets of nut butter for a healthy and delicious snack. You can also add dark chocolate covered fruit like strawberries for a much healthier substitute than those milk chocolate bunnies.
- Hard-boiled eggs – Eggs are synonymous with Easter, but you don’t need chocolate ones filled with cream to stay in the spirit. Hard-boiled eggs are the perfect protein-packed snack to help you get through the workday. You can even dye them using natural dyes like saffron, cabbage, and raspberries.
- Carrots – If they’re good enough for the Easter Bunny, they’re good enough for us. A bag of baby carrots and hummus is a perfect treat your family can eat for days after the Easter festivities are over.
- Dark chocolate – It’s a holiday so you shouldn’t forgo chocolate altogether. But instead of those bunny and egg-shaped chocolates, fill gift baskets with dark chocolate treats. Just make sure the bar is 70 percent cacao to get the full health benefits.
While we all love getting treats for Easter, a few non-food items can go a long way in elevating your basket. These can include:
- Gift cards – These are the perfect egg-stuffers that keep giving long after Easter is over. Choose cards from healthy restaurants and grocery stores to encourage a healthy diet.
- Jump rope and other fitness gear – Jumping rope is a great workout for people of all ages. This along with other fitness gear is the perfect combo.
- Lip balm and skin care items – Staying healthy also means taking care of your skin. A daily sunscreen for your face and lip balm can help protect your skin and lips from the sun.
However you build your Easter baskets, they aren’t complete without the perfectly sweet and delicious Winter Sweetz grapefruits.
With their bright colors, plump and juicy flesh and fresh aroma, you’ll be sure to make the right impression when you deliver your Easter baskets this year. Look for our delicious Texas Red Grapefruits at a quality retailer near you!