4 Healthy Grapefruit Recipes to Kick Off 2020
As the first month of 2020 is coming to a close, many of us are still developing new healthy lifestyles that adopt tasty, refreshing diets to keep us energized throughout the new year. Thankfully,
however, sticking to the meal plan doesn’t have to be hard if we zest it up with a little bit of the sweet stuff.
In our last blog, we told you all about the health benefits that come with eating grapefruit, and now we here at Winter Sweetz are back to tell you of some more great ways to include our Texas Red grapefruit in your diet!
Of course, biting into a fresh grapefruit is always a treat, but there are actually tons of other ways to include grapefruit in any part of your day. These recipes can help you stay healthy and share some yummy food with friends and family in 2020.
Breakfast — Grapefruit, Ginger, and Chia Seed Pudding
Breakfast is one of the best times to add a little grapefruit into your diet, but we understand that it can be hard to find the time. If you tend to be on the run at breakfast time, this pudding is something that could be prepared the night before and taken with you.
What You’ll Need:
For the Chia Seed Pudding:
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 6-7 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-3 teaspoons pure maple syrup, to taste
For the Grapefruit Topping:
- 2 Texas Red grapefruits, cut into segmentz
- ¼ cup toasted, unsweetened, flaked coconut
What to Do:
- To make the chia seed pudding, mix together the coconut milk, non-dairy milk, chia seeds, ginger, vanilla, and maple syrup in a large bowl or jar. Give it a good whisk, or shake if in a jar, to really incorporate the ingredients together.
- Refrigerate in a covered bowl or jar for at least two hours to allow the pudding to thicken.
- If after two hours it still seems thin, add a tablespoon of chia seeds every half hour of refrigeration until you reach the pudding consistency you want.
- Spoon your tasty treat into individual cups or bowls and top them with grapefruit slices and toasted coconut to finish them off.
Time: 2 hours and 25 minutes (refrigeration and prep time)
Lunch — Grapefruit, Avocado, and Salmon Salad
One of the most classic combinations in food is the pairing of savory and sweet. You may think that grapefruit will only taste good with other fruits and vegetables, but we’re here to tell you there are so many ways to enjoy our juicy, sweet fruit! If you’re looking for an ultra-healthy, ultra-delicious meal to satisfy your grapefruit cravings, look no further. This tangy, tart salad is perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
Grab These Ingredients:
- 1 Winter Sweetz Texas Red grapefruit, sectioned
- 1 blood orange, sectioned
- 1 avocado, sliced into wedges
- Large handful arugula (or watercress)
- Large handful pea shoots (optional)
- Radish, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound salmon
- A handful of pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lime vinaigrette
Now Do This:
- To prepare the salmon, season the piece of salmon a sprinkle of course sea salt and with freshly ground black pepper.
- Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the olive oil heats up a bit, add the salmon, skin down, and let it cook for about 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, flip your salmon and continue cooking for two and a half to three minutes. You will want your salmon to be soft and tender, or about medium-rare.
- Toss the arugula and other greens with dressing in accordance to your taste. Plate your greens, and add sectioned grapefruit, blood oranges, avocado, and some radish.
- Place your salmon on top of the salad, and drizzle a bit more dressing on top. Garnish the plate with a few toasted pumpkin seeds, and add a bit more seasoning if so desired.
Time: 20-30 minutes
Snacks — Anise Zabaglione over Grapefruit Sections
Zaba-what now? Zabaglione may be difficult to say, but it’s heaven to taste. Drizzle this warm creamy Italian sauce over grapefruit for the ultimate sweet treat.
You’ll Need These Ingredients:
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sweet Marsala wine or orange juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 to 3 large Winter Sweetz Texas red grapefruit sections
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 1 double boiler
Then, Follow These Steps:
- To prepare the zabaglione, whisk together the egg yolks with the egg, sugar, marsala wine, anise seeds, and salt together in a medium-size bowl.
- The next step is rather important. You’ll need a double boiler (one with an upper and lower pan) in order to carefully emulsify the mixture. Too much heat, or failure to adequately whisk thoroughly, could cause the egg to curdle. We want a smooth sauce for our dish.
- Take the mixture and place it in the top of the double boiler with the bottom filled with gently boiling water. The upper pan shouldn’t be touching the water.
- Whisking constantly, cook the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes, until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 165 degrees F. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Take your Winter Sweetz Texan Red grapefruit sections and divide them between four dessert dishes. Drizzle the zabaglione over the grapefruit with a spoon while it’s still warm, and garnish with star anise.
Time: 20 minutes
Dinner — Spicy Shrimp and Citrus Salad
Lastly, this zingy dish is perfect for fans of cajun food and spice. Oranges, grapefruit, and a freshly-made vinaigrette come together with amazing cajun shrimp in each flavorful mouthful.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
For the Citrus Salad:
- 3-4 cups spinach, kale, or lettuce
- 1 Winter Sweetz Texas Red grapefruit, cut into segments
- 1 orange, cut into segments
- 1 blood or cara cara orange, cut into segments
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
For the Spicy Shrimp:
- 15-20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch cayenne powder (leave this out to drop the spiciness level)
For the Grapefruit Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup freshly-squeezed Winter Sweetz Texas Red grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons avocado or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch fine sea salt
Now, Follow These Steps:
- Mix together all of your greens, citrus segments, and sliced onions in a bowl, and set it aside for now.
- Combine your seasoning and your deveined shrimp, and carefully transfer them to a heated and oiled skillet.
- Let the shrimp cook for about 8 minutes, tossing often, until shrimp is fully cooked. It will look rather opaque.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Add the shrimp to your salad, toss, and top with the dressing. Serve and enjoy!
Time: 20 minutes