A Healthier 2019: How Winter Sweetz Grapefruits Can Help
It’s 2019 and you’ve probably made the resolution to have a healthier lifestyle this year. Well, Winter Sweetz Texas red grapefruits can be a major tool to help you reach your 2019 fitness goals.
At Winter Sweetz, we know all about grapefruits and we’d love to share that sweet information with you.
6 Amazing Health Benefits of Grapefruits
1. Helps with Weight Loss
Research has shown that grapefruits are an excellent fruit to consume if you are hoping to shed a few pounds. For one, grapefruits have a low caloric density, meaning they contain few calories in comparison to their volume. This can help you to feel fuller for longer, aiding in calorie consumption.
On top of that, grapefruits and grapefruit juice are known as metabolism boosters. The key may be the kinase (AMPK) enzyme which is activated by the organic compound known as nootkatone.
AMPK is responsible for triggering energy-producing processes, like turning sugars and fats into actual energy. AMPK is normally activated with exercise or intense physical activity but the nootkatone in grapefruit can help to activate it to a lesser degree.
2. Cellulite Reduction
According to research published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science, smelling grapefruit vapors as aromatherapy stimulates the nervous system, and when paired with a topical cream containing caffeine, has been shown to have slimming effects on a subject’s body.
Also, grapefruits contain a high amount of natural anti-inflammatory and skin-cleansing agents, like bromelain, an enzyme capable of breaking down cellulite.
3. Cancer Prevention
Cell and animal research has demonstrated phytochemicals in grapefruits are able to successfully reduce the growth of colon, mouth, skin, lung, stomach and breast cancers. Not only did their proliferation slow down but the self-destruction of the cancer cells increased as well.
Vitamin C, the main anti-oxidant in grapefruits, has also been shown to prevent carcinogen development and DNA damage caused by free radicals.
4. Immune System Enhancer
Texas red grapefruits are as rich in vitamin C as any other grapefruit and also contain elevated levels of flavonoids. Flavonoids, also known as bioflavonoids, are enzymes which help your body to break down and effectively use vitamin C.
Being able to easily process vitamin C gives your cells the ability to better protect your body from diseases and infections.
5. Grapefruits Help to Lower Stroke Risk
A 2012 study from the American Heart Association demonstrated that women who consumed citrus fruits with higher amounts of flavonoids – like Texas red grapefruits – had 19% less risk of suffering from an ischemic stroke.
Previous research showed that constant citrus fruit intake significantly lowered the risk of suffering an ischemic stroke and intracerebral hemorrhaging.
6. Stabilizes Your Sugar Levels
Grapefruits contain natural compounds which help reduce insulin levels. This means your body is able to better metabolize and use sugar. While this is not a substitution for any medication you may be taking, it is, however, a great way to support and boost your health.
Please speak to your doctor about eating grapefruits or drinking grapefruit juice if you have been prescribed any medication as grapefruits may lead to adverse effects.
Eating Healthy in 2019
Planning on making grapefruits your go-to snack in 2019? Let us show you some fun and easy recipes for you to enjoy during throughout the new year.
Spicy Shrimp and Citrus Salad
- 3 ½ cups of spinach, kale or lettuce (you can try a combination)
- 2 Winter Sweetz Texas red grapefruits, cut into segments
- 1 large orange, cut into segments
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 15-20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of cumin
- ¼ tsp of garlic granules
- ½ tsp of fine salt
- Pinch of cayenne powder (omit if low tolerance to spicy)
- ½ cup of fresh Winter Sweetz Texas red grapefruit juice
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp of bee honey
- In a bowl, place your kale, spinach or lettuce. Then add citrus segments and set aside.
- Use another bowl to combine shrimp with ¼ tsp of fine salt, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic granules, and cayenne powder if desired.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp of oil. Once the oil is hot, add the seasoned shrimp and cook for about 8 minutes until opaque. Steer and toss often to allow shrimp to cook uniformly.
- While cooking, in a smaller bowl whisk together a pinch of fine salt, Winter Sweetz grapefruit juice, dijon mustard, ginger, 2 tbsp of oil and the honey.
- Add shrimp to the bowl of greens and citrus. Toss the salad and use the vinaigrette as dressing.
Grapefruit Smoothie Bowl
- 1 Winter Sweetz grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- ½ cup of frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1 ripe and frozen banana (can substitute with ½ a cup of frozen pineapple)
- ½ cup of frozen cauliflower florets
- ¼ avocado (substitute with 1½ tbsp of cashew butter if needed)
- ½ tsp of vanilla extract
- Toppings to taste: coconut, grapefruit segments, frozen berries, granola, honey, etc.
- Segment the Winter Sweetz grapefruit in a bowl to make sure to keep any juice. Get rid of the pit and seeds. Place segments and juice into the blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy texture.
- Serve in a bowl and add toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Ready to jump-start the new year with Winter Sweetz grapefruits? Ask at your local grocer to order Winter Sweetz Texas red grapefruits!
Follow us on Facebook to learn more delicious grapefruit recipes and tips.