Celebrate Your Loved One’s Next Birthday With This Delicious Grapefruit Cake Recipe
The beginning of every new grapefruit season is like a birthday celebration for us here at Winter Sweetz. It is a 5 month-long celebration, that is, except for this year. Because of Winter Storm Uri, we had to end the season a little early, but that doesn’t mean the ideas about what fantastic grapefruit creations you can come up with end as well, especially if you’ve got a loved one with an upcoming birthday.
Birthdays are to be remembered and celebrated, but celebrating a loved one’s birthday sometimes means taking things to another level. We don’t mean going all out with party decorations, renting out party avenues, or buying expensive gifts. We’re talking about baking a delicious, succulent cake, the pièce de résistance of a birthday long remembered.
This year, if you still have some juicy grapefruit left behind, surprise the ones you love with a delicious and unique cake that’s nearly as sweet as they are!
This Texas Rio Red Grapefruit Cake Will Make for a Memorable Birthday
If you live in Texas, you’re fortunate to live in a region that enjoys a various bounty of sweet red and delicious grapefruit, but the one you choose to use in this cake recipe matters a ton. When it comes to Texas Rio Red grapefruit, there’s a host of ways to add these sweet, vitamin-C packed fruit to any recipe, giving your tastebuds a truly joyful experience.
Create a delightful baking experience by trying out something new and exciting in the kitchen that is sure to wow your friends and family.
First, You’ll Need This:
- 1 ½ cup of sifted cake flour
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup of a neutral cooking oil (e.g. canola)
- 3 eggs, separating the yolks from the whites
- 3 tbsp Winter Sweetz Texas Rio Red grapefruit segmentz
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp of cream of tartar
Then for the cream cheese frosting, you’ll need:
- ½ cup butter
- 2 whole 3oz packages of your favorite cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¾ sifted confectioners sugar
- A few dashes of pink food coloring (optional)
- Lilac and Green sugar crystals, separated
- Reserved Winter Sweet Texas Rio Red Grapefruit segmentz
Now do this:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degree F.
- With a fine-mesh sieve, you’re going to want to sift together your cake flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Once that is done, make a hole (otherwise known as a well) in the center of the mix. This is where you will add in your water, neutral cooking oil, egg yolks, lemon zest, and Rio Red grapefruit segments.
- Fold in the ingredients, then beat it all together until it’s nice and smooth.
- Take your egg whites and toss in your cream of tartar. Then beat that together until stiff (but not dry). Now blend in both mixtures together, being careful not to overly stir it.
- Grease up a 9-inch springform pan (or any one you have on hand) and place the entire batter into it.
- Carefully open up your oven–you don’t want to burn yourself–and place the pan into it, baking for 30 minutes. To determine if it’s ready, poke the center with a toothpick and see if it comes out clean.
For Your Frosting:
- While your cake is baking, start the cream cheese frosting. Take your cream cheese that has been left out at room temperature for about 30 minutes and place it in a mixing bowl.
- Take your butter and confectioners sugar and cream it together. Make sure the butter, too, is softened when you blend it in with the sugar. You want it to be light and fluffy, not soupy.
- Add in a little lemon juice and the zest, making sure that the frosting mixture so far is smooth. Dash in some of the food coloring and add in the reserved sectioned grapefruit with a good mix.
Now to wrap it up:
- Flip over your finished cake onto a cooling rack and let sit til cool. Take a thin knife and loosen the edges away from the cake carefully.
- Now make two layers to this masterpiece by taking a serrated knife and cutting it crosswise.
- Then, take your cream cheese frosting and spread it over the top of one layer. Then take a few of your saved grapefruit sections and sprinkle them on top of that same layer. Sandwich the other layer on top of the layer with the frosting/grapefruit to create a nice, frosted center of the cake.
- Frost the rest of the cake (top and sides) and sprinkle on the decorative sugars (the lilac and green sugars) and remaining grapefruit sections.
- Slice into equal portions, serve, and enjoy!
Nothing compares to a delicious, ripe, sweet Winter Sweetz Texas Rio Red Grapefruit
You can look far and wide, only to be hard-pressed in finding something as delicious and sweet as our Winter Sweetz Texas Red Grapefruit. Our grapefruit ripens in winter, meaning ours are the sweetest and most juicy citrus around!
From its bright colors, juicy segmentz, creamy frosting, and moist texture, this Texas Red Grapefruit birthday cake is sure to satisfy all of your party-goers’ sweet tooths! Create this recipe with your loved ones for a unique and memorable birthday!