Reaching Your 2019 Resolutions: How Grapefruits are Beneficial to Weight Loss
While much attention has been to the “Grapefruit Diet,” the truth is that grapefruits can be very beneficial to your health when added to a balanced diet. Naturally, a healthy diet and a bit of exercise can do wonders in helping you reach your 2019 weight loss resolutions.
Contrary to popular belief, these tangy fruits don’t magically burn fat, but they do an excellent job at boosting your metabolism, which can have a heap of health benefits. Not only do grapefruits have plenty of lycopene (which is also cancer-fighting) but they also have an abundance of vitamin C and can even lower blood sugar and insulin levels.
It’s the peak of Texas red grapefruit season here in the Rio Grande Valley, and also the beginning of a New Year, which means weight loss resolutions. If you want to follow through with those positive health goals, Winter Sweetz grapefruits can help you reach those goals.
How Grapefruits Can Help You With Your Weight Loss Goals
1. Grapefruits are the perfect pre-meal snack.
Just half a grapefruit can keep you full for hours, helping to curb that unhealthy snacking. Grapefruits have plenty of fiber which helps you stay fuller for longer periods of time. Eating half a grapefruit or drinking a glass of fresh grapefruit juice before a meal is an excellent idea if you’re considering limiting the number of calories you want to consume at each meal.
While you won’t want to eat grapefruit beforeevery meal, it can be beneficial to do so before breakfast or even lunch.
A study conducted by Nutrition & Metabolism shed some light on how beneficial it is to “preload” before a meal with grapefruit. The research found that eating any food low in calories but high in water before a meal is helpful to make you feel full. The study went on to say that this way of “dieting” can be done without decreasing the amount of food that you eat, thus helping you avoid hunger, which can lead to additional (unnecessary) eating.
The smell of grapefruit can help curb your cravings.
According to researchers, the scent of grapefruit may be just the thing to curb your cravings and help with weight loss. Researchers suggest getting a whiff of grapefruit or grapefruit oil, which can positively affect the enzymes in your liver, and assist in ridding yourself of those cravings.
The perfect substitution.
Grapefruit is the perfect low-calorie substitution and keeps your food fresh and exciting. Below is a healthy, vegetarian-friendly recipe to help you get started. This recipe is extremely easy to make with 11 simple ingredients which you may already have at home:
Grapefruit and Arugula Salad with Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette
- 8 cups of baby arugula
- 2 cups of baby spinach
- 1 cucumber
- 2 Winter Sweetz Texas red grapefruits
- ½ tsp of dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of honey
- ¼ tsp of sea salt
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup of walnuts
- First, add the honey, dijon mustard, sea salt, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil to a mason jar. Shake until all ingredients are blended harmoniously, and voila, you have a delicious dressing for your salad. (Tip: If you have one on hand, adding a wire whisking ball to the mason jar while shaking it could help the ingredients blend much easier.)
- Next, mix your baby arugula and spinach in a large bowl. Then add the cucumber (sliced thin) and sectioned Texas red grapefruit. Pour the desired amount of dressing on the salad and mix thoroughly.
- Finally, top your salad with chopped walnuts. Bon appetit!
Eat healthier in 2019 with Winter Sweetz Texas Red Grapefruits.
For more juicy and tasty grapefruit recipes, check out our Winter Sweetz™ recipe recommendations.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.