May 29, 2019
Grapefruit & Quinoa Salad
- 1 Texas Rio Star Grapefruit, sectioned
- 1 Texas Orange, sectioned
- 8 thin slices fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 small serrano or jalapeno chile, minced (with seeds for maximum heat)
- 2 scallions (both white and green parts), minced
- 2 carrots, peeled & diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Strip the peel from the grapefruit with a vegetable peeler, taking care not to include the bitter white pith.
- Warm the grapefruit peel, ginger, and olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- As soon as the oil starts to bubble, after about 2 minutes, remove from heat.
- Set the oil aside to steep for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve the oil.
- Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa in a bowl and drain.
- Add the quinoa to a small saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Boil over high heat, and then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Set aside off the heat, undisturbed, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and fluff with a fork. Cool.
- Segment the grapefruit over a bowl, reserving the segments and juice separately.
- Whisk 3 tablespoons of the grapefruit juice with the vinegar, honey, and salt to taste in a medium bowl.
- Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons of the reserved grapefruit oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a stream to make a slightly thick dressing.
- Season with pepper to taste. Toss quinoa with the dressing, chiles, scallions, carrots and cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.